Fair Share Amendment
A once-in-a-generation opportunity for the Commonwealth to sustainably fund improvements to our education and transportation systems. Learn more and get involved today!
Countdown to Election Day 2022
What is the Fair Share Amendment? What does it do?
The Fair Share Amendment is a change to the Massachusetts state constitution that would generate about $2 billion in yearly support for transportation and public education. The revenue would come from an additional tax on households with very high incomes—that’s why it’s also known as a “millionaire’s tax.”
Here’s what these dollars would support:
- Improvements to our schools, colleges, universities, early education, vocational training, and adult education
- Better roads, bridges, trains, buses, ferries, and infrastructure for biking and pedestrians
- An important step towards tax justice and racial equity
Voters will decide on the Fair Share Amendment on the November 2022 ballot.
Why is Fair Share so important?
Make childcare accessible and affordable for those who need it
Repair and sustain our state’s network of roads and bridges
Give us top-notch public schools with great educators and more supplies
Modernize our rail and bus systems for convenience and affordability
Ensure our public college students graduate without crushing debt
What does the amendment actually say?
The following text is the exact language that the amendment adds to the state constitution. This is also how it will appear on the ballot on Election Day 2022. Hover over the highlighted text to see further detail on what it means and why it matters.
How Can You Get Involved?
Say YES to Solving Regional and Statewide Transportation Challenges
Say YES to Affordable and Accessible Early Education
Say YES to Fully Funding Our K-12 Public Schools
Say YES to Addressing the Student Debt Crisis
- A “Millionaire Tax” Would Advance Racial Justice in Massachusetts
- Other States Have Similar or Higher Tax Rates on Extremely High Incomes
- Federal Aid Isn’t a Substitute for More Revenue
- The Fair Share Amendment Would Help Small Businesses
- Building a Strong Economy: The Roles of Education, Transportation, and Tax Policy
- The Cost of Universal, Affordable, High-Quality Early Care & Education Across Massachusetts
- Choosing Equity: Options for Affordable Public Higher Education in Massachusetts
- The Dollars & Sense of Free Buses
- Why the Gas Tax Can’t Do It Alone
- Millionaire Migration is a Myth
- Cristobal Young – The Truth About Millionaries and Taxes
- Cristobal Young – Eight Brief Responses about Millionaire Migration
- Michael Mazerov – State “Income Migration” Claims Are Deeply Flawed
- Michael Mazerov – State Taxes Have a Negligible Impact on Americans’ Interstate Moves
- Michael Mazerov – Millionaire Tax Flight Myth Debunked — Again