We are seeking a highly-organized Finance and Operations Manager who is aligned with MassBudget’s mission of advancing equitable and antiracist policy solutions that create an inclusive, thriving Commonwealth for all. This is an exciting time as MassBudget continues on a journey toward being an antiracist organization and what that means for our financial systems, human resources, and operations.
The Manager will manage most of the organization’s bookkeeping and related financial activities, provide support to MassBudget’s staff, and ensure that the office operates smoothly and efficiently. In this role, the Manager will work closely with the organization’s Director of Development and Finance, to whom they will report, as well as the President and Vice President. In all areas of their work, the Manager will help make MassBudget’s operations and systems equitable and effective for everyone at MassBudget.
While most MassBudget staff are predominantly working remotely due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, the Finance and Operations Manager will need to be physically present in the office up to 1-2 times per week to handle relevant responsibilities (i.e., receiving mail, interacting with office vendors). We will continually monitor the virus to determine when it is safe to have all staff return to the office in some capacity.
- Financial Management and Development
- Conduct accounts payable and accounts receivable via QuickBooks, working closely with MassBudget’s Financial Consultant
- Support the Director of Development and Finance with the organization’s annual audits and tax filings (financial and benefits)
- Help the Director of Development and Finance develop the annual budget, including preparing for budget reports at quarterly board meetings
- Contribute to development work by processing donations in accounting and development software, including donor record-keeping, sending thank-you letters, and assisting with fundraising campaigns by coordinating annual campaign direct mail
- Human Resources Support
- Prepare and submit semi-monthly payroll
- Manage benefits including 401K, health care, dental, flexible spending account including communicating with staff about benefits changes and serving on internal committees to help identify improvements or savings
- Handle administrative functions for onboarding and offboarding of employees
- Manage staff vacation and sick time calendars
- Office and Organizational Management
- Assist MassBudget President with scheduling
- Assist Vice President with semi-annual lobbying reporting to the Secretary of State
- Schedule quarterly board and committee meetings
- Oversee operations vendor management (i.e., landlord and technology vendors) and office administration tasks
- Coordinate, as needed, with the Director of Development and Finance on necessary organizational insurance needs.
Required Skills and Experience
- Commitment to antiracism and to building racial and economic equity in alignment with MassBudget’s mission
- Experience with accounting and/or financial management, experience in the nonprofit sector highly preferred
- Proficient in the use of technology including QuickBooks (or similar accounting software), Network For Good or other development platform, and Microsoft Office Suite specifically with proficiency in Excel
- Display superior interpersonal skills for both internal and external stakeholder interactions
- Highly organized with strong attention to detail
- Experience and comfort running operations for a small-sized nonprofit organization
- Ability to adapt to a changing environment and handle multiple priorities
- 2-3 years of relevant experience and education or a Bachelor’s degree
Desirable Skills and Experience
- Possess cross-cultural competency – ability to understand and effectively communicate with individuals from different backgrounds
- Working knowledge of nonprofit accounting and operations
- Experience with employee benefit administration
- Ability to clearly manage and refine systems; organize workflows; and document and communicate policies and procedures
Salary and Benefits
MassBudget has a 35-hour work week; this position is full time. Salary range is $65,000-$75,000 based on qualifications and experience. MassBudget currently provides generous benefits including paying 100% of health and dental care premiums, contributing to a flexible spending account, providing at least 3 weeks of vacation annually, including paid sick and family leave, and contributing 5% of salary to employees’ 401k plans.
How to Apply
Please email résumé and cover letter to email@example.com. Put “LAST NAME, FIRST NAME, Applicant for Finance and Operations Manager” in the subject line of the email. This position is open until filled.
As part of its work on building an antiracist organization, MassBudget does not discriminate against any applicant because of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, physical or mental handicap, parental status, marital status, military status or past criminal conviction. MassBudget will provide equal opportunity for employment and advancement and will implement affirmative action and physical accommodation policies to employ people of diverse backgrounds and abilities. We encourage applications from persons whose background and experiences will increase the diversity of voices in our organization.